Friday, April 24, 2009

Community Learning Center

Dear parents, teachers, and caregivers:

I am writing in hopes of finding a way to provide quality education to children in the Utah County area, one that views the child as a competent learner, parents as partners, and learning as an engaging hands-on experience. Over the last year and a half I have tried to implement such a program single handedly, and found it impossible to do so. It simply is too much for one person to do, and the cost of implementing a program is prohibitive for an individual such as myself who is a recent college graduate with no other source of income. I'm not looking to make a lot, but it's nice to be able to actually afford food every once and awhile!

My ultimate view is a community learning center where parents, children, teachers, and other community members can join together and cooperatively engage in learning and progressing. I picture a program where intergenerational support acts as a base for partnering in education, where the lines are blurred between teacher and student, where children and adults of all abilities are integrated in a supportive environment, and where individuals arrive each day refreshed and eager to learn and to teach. While I, personally, am drawn to programs which are completely child-directed and naturalistic, I don't want to narrow the focus of the program to one curriculum approach--rather I want to gather the best aspects of each approach and bring them together in an eclectic means which enables each child to learn in the way that best meets their individual learning style.

There are so many individuals in the area who recognize the weakness of our current educational system. We've seen an increase in charter schools, but the availability of these programs is extremely limited & private schools are cost prohibitive. I long for a program where it is possible for anyone who is willing to commit to education to join the community, regardless of social or economical status. I know there are individuals out there who share the drive to create a quality a educational program for their own children and those in the community, I'm desperately searching for the means to bring these individuals together.

If you would be interested in joining me on this journey, please contact me. I am seeking any individual with a drive to learn, and to teach. I am also seeking individuals who may be able to help with more "practical" matters such as locating and preparing a facility, organizing a board of directors, assisting with bookkeeping, and finding and utilizing available resources in the community.

Sincerely,
Heather Rindlisbacher
Nurturing a love of learning...

Phone (801) 636-5627
E-mail happythoughtslearningcenter@yahoo.com
Blog: http://happythoughtslc.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment