Saturday, December 26, 2009

Clay....

This is one of those on-going, nonlinear posts that I will be adding to as I upload pictures & revist transcripts and video recordings (a few of which I may post if I can figure out how to get my laptop online). So drop by & visit on occasion to "see" what is being added! The "finished" results will also be documented in the classroom for parents (and visitors, should you happen to be in the area feel free to come by!).


I introduced clay on the floor a couple weeks back, in big blocks for the children to work on as a group. I expected the jumping on it--but must admit the sitting on the block was an idea I hadn't ever considered trying myself!













When the slabs of clay had been smashed flat (it didn't take long) one of the children took scissors & began to carve images & words into the clay. I found this interesting, as I have introduced clay as a medium to many, many children...and yet this is the first time I have seen children use it in a two dimensional context. I wonderedif/how this correlates to the interest in symbols & representation I have observed with the children in this class group...



There was a lot of cooperative exploration with the rolling pin, as I only had one of them. I added a second, and considered adding my larger rolling pins (I have enough that each child could have one), but decided to hold off & continue to let the children negotiate the use of the limited available resources.

When revisiting the environment and asking the children for feedback one of the children declared the "paint table" was too "junky"--and, indeed, upon standing back & looking at it I realized this key table, which reflects much of what parents see in our classroom as it is right next to the door, had become a "catch all" for odds and ends painting materials, most of which were not effectively utilized. So, after brief consideration, I decided to put the paint away for now (it's still available if the kids ask for it--and I did leave one easel set up for free use) and "transform" the table into our clay table. A simple garbage back covering, a bucket of rinse water, a few sponges, and we were ready to roll!

http://artatthecenter.blogspot.com/2009/11/clay-and-sticks-and-standing-objects.html

This post from Art at the Center made me think about provocations I could add to the clay table. So far I've given the children a few plastic knives and they've brought several items from the painting/stamping projects (mostly kitchen mixers, potato mashers, etc) to the table themselves, as well as the small rolling pin from the dramatic play center & the iron (who would have thought???). The popsicle sticks are an obvious "next step", I'm also wondering about rocks, perhaps the pinecones from our science center (B was "spraying" them yesterday to see what happens--wonder if he would extend that?)....I know there are a number of items my classes from previous years used, perhaps I should pull them out as well. Now, to decide how to present materials in a way that is provocative but non-directive...


And this article..

http://www.bartelart.com/arted/Clay&Toddlers.html

is a great explanation of why working with clay is important for young children--again, we begin to see that represenational/concerete operational thinking coming into play....



OK, I really have to stop thinking about preschool and actually fold the laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment