Thursday, December 3, 2009

Homework: Daily Schedule

One of our homework assignments for the online class I am taking is to write out, in detail, our classroom schedule. I found this a bit challenging, as ours is constantly changing and evolving! Here's a general overview of how our day goes....

8:30ish
The kids trickle in a few at a time & begin self-directed learning activities (also known in some circles as "free play", but that hardly describes the learning & exploring that goes on during this time!).

9:00ish
I attempt a morning meeting. So far this isn't going so well. The kids have just begun activities & don't want to stop. I've tried moving morning meeting up, but then the kids who show up later miss out. I've tried doing more structured activities as they come in (ie. puzzles at the table) & they're just not interested. I'm welcoming any suggestions to "fix" this problem! I love the idea of gathering to share fruit as they do in the Diana school (I think?), but I'm kind of guessing food in a room with white carpet isn't a great idea. Perhaps I should move our meeting place? Grapes or bananas may be okay. Still debating over the options.

9:30ish-10:30ish
Our self directed learning activities continue. If there are two teachers the children may move freely from our classroom to the outdoors, if it's just me they usually go out with the older kids about 10:00. I try to get everyone outside for at least 15 minutes, but this doesn't always happen--especially when it's 20 degrees outside! The kids have free access to the "studio", where I've typically set up 2-3 provocations (we have a painting table & two investigation/exploration tables) based on whatever projects or topics we are studying. They also have open access to the centers room--blocks, kitchen/dramatic play, books, various math manipulatives, writing and literacy materials, etc. For the most part I am "hands off" during this time, observing, taking notes, and occasionally bringing out materials to extend activities they seem interested in. Occasionally I'll try specifically to work math & literacy into the activities they are excited about. Often, right now especially, I'm gently guiding their conflict resolution skills and helping them learn to problem solve. I do try to do 1-2 "official" assessments each month (math/literacy, scientific knowledge, language devleopment, etc) so I also complete these during this time period--most of it can be done simply through observation.

10:30-11:00ish
I typically try to do more structured activities for about half an hour, specifially with small groups while the other children continue self directed activities. Many of the children join the primary class during this time to meet up with their "reading buddies". Right now on my "official" lesson plan I'm trying to do math on Tuesdays & literacy on Thursdays since I have a parent helper those days, but this is extremely flexible.

At about 11:00 we start clean up (I wrote a note today to remind me we really do need to stop what we're doing & clean up what absolutely must be picked up--we have been struggling with this lately, though parent helpers have made it workable). The kids help sweep, wipe tables, put toys away, etc. Then we gather for a closing group--again, I'm struggling to work this in and keep the kids engaged. I try to do songs & stories, I'm specifically focusing right now on getting at least one book in a day. The high point of our group time is 'tickle time' which I randomly stumbled across in an attempt to keep a certain child engaged while singing our closing song ("Sing Your Way Home"). Tickling one child just didn't cut it--so now everyone gets at least one turn (usually more). I've found this to be one of the more rewarding moments of the day, and miss it on the days when we don't quite find time for it.

C's been watching me type this up and insisted on adding his opinion on our schedule for the class he attended yesterday...

We cleaned up and played. I played, let's see here...I don't remember. Blocks and kitchen and that's all. We got the gelatin and colored it with paint. I want to color it with more paint. What makes green? Yellow and green and blue. Then we put it yellow and green and put that watery stuff in, then I mixed yellow and made green. Then we put flour and green and that's all, and water. We ate snacks, played. And I played with blocks, kitchen stuff, and that's all.

What I noticed about C's day yesterday (also known as "So what did he learn???)...

Social/Emotional Skills:
He came right into class, and had no difficulty joining in with B even though he has never met him before. He spent the vast majority of his time actively engaged in cooperative play with L, even though she is younger than he is. He used excellent conflict resolution skills when he wanted something she had--something we don't always see at home. He even stepped in to moderate between B & L when they had a disagreement.

Math & Science:
C. was able to identify the difference between the gelatin cups that had been in the fridge & those that we'd put in the freezer. He shared his theories about why they were different. He actively explored & experimented. He spent nearly an hour mixing, dumping, and pouring. He was able to count the number of cups, and quickly grasped the concept of 2 half cups=1 whole. He demonstrated competency in understanding the concept of conservation(the ability to recognize that there is the same amount of water in two different containers)--a key skill for geometry later on. He mixed colors and was able to tell me which primary colors produced green.

Language & Literacy:
C. worked on increasing his vocabulary, identifying "solids" and "liquids", as well as some understanding about what the word "mass" means. He demonstrates an understanding of various word endings...you add water to make something "watery".

Hmm...not at all bad for a child who "just" played for 3 hours!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment